Tanzania Association of Microfinance Institutions is a Tanzania National Network for Microfinance Institutions and Service providers providing services to the microfinance institutions and clients of microfinance services.
It is platform for all microfinance stakeholders (institutions) which allows microfinance stakeholders to meet, discuss, dialogue, present, argue, voice their concerns and interests , network and collaborate for the purpose developing the microfinance sector in the country.
TAMFI Mission is to act as Network and Voice for Tanzania Microfinance Institutions providing useful linkages and networking services to members and promote responsible financial services.
To become an active network functioning in more than fifteen (15) Regions of Tanzania
- To enhance, strengthen, to act as a forum in addressing mutual interests and develop microfinance institutions in Tanzania
- To provide coordination and linkage service of microfinance players in Tanzania – play a role of being a Network of Microfinance Institutions.
- To initiate undertake and promote strategies or activities which enhance growth of microfinance sector as a means to contribute towards poverty eradication strategy.
- To initiate carry out and promote research in matters related to microfinance service with the aim of enabling the microfinance institutions to become more effective and productive in economic and social development activities
- To promote acts and practices that encourage responsible microfinance services i.e. having in place code of conduct
- To undertake and promote microfinance activities which support the development of microfinance industry in the country
- To undertake and promote networking, advocacy and lobbying with the aim of promoting and capacity building of microfinance institutions initiatives.
MEMBERS EXPECTATIONS TO TAMFI AS A NETWORK
TAMFI is expected to perform and attain the following qualities and results: –
5.1 Institutional Level – seen to be:
- An inclusive network – More organizations are joining the organization
- A National Network: We are present at all levels and in all regions and districts in the country. Have an effective and less costly mechanism and technology to attain the national presence
- A United voice – speak as one
- Active internationally – Strongly East Africa, Africa and International arenas
- Increased collaboration among members
- Benefit members – develop and deliver services that address important member’s needs/issues.
5.2 Industry Level
- Leading the industry in organizing the industry – want to see the industry become more organized
- Have a united voice
- Participate and be recognized in National issues and activities – have influence in decision making with regard to microfinance issues
- Increase in number of formalized and regulated MFIs
ROLE OF TAMFI IN THE INDUSTRY AND SECTOR
TAMFI has a role of coordinating Microfinance Institutions with various stakeholders of Microfinance services in and outside the country and representing Tanzania Microfinance Institutions/industry in various forums. Among the major stakeholders of microfinance services include, the Government, Central Bank, Donors, Development partners, financiers, investors and clients of microfinance services.